Whole-body Cryotherapy is a method of employing ultra-cold temperatures on the skin at the tissue and cellular levels for promoting healing in the system. This process has seen many medical advantages but has been gaining popularity as an anti-aging and beauty treatment. There are some talks about the overrated benefits of this therapy, but you will know about the details once you read the below aspects.
How Does Whole-Body Cryotherapy Work?
Whole-Body Cryotherapy treatment exposes the complete body to a highly cold environment for a scheduled time of around five minutes. This will be done in a cryotherapy chamber with the use of liquid nitrogen or an electrical system that gets to -100 to -500 degrees Fahrenheit. This leads to lowering skin temperatures within a few minutes to provide effective results. The patient will not be directly exposed to the liquid nitrogen. This intense cooling gives several advantages to the body like vasoconstriction of blood from the toes and fingers into the vital organs. Along with these effects, there will be a reduction in the inflammatory properties leading to a stronger immune response. Finally, there will be the release of endorphin hormones causing a feel-good factor among patients.
Is Whole-Body Cryotherapy Effective?
Below Are 6 Reasons That Cryotherapy Can Be Termed As Overrated:
- As per the research of the Federal Drug Association (FDA), cryotherapy has several healing aspects like enhancement of metabolism and blood circulation, reduction of muscle soreness after intense workouts, comfort from body aches, useful in improving conditions of insomnia, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, depression, etc. But FDA also mentions that there is no publicly proven data to accurately provide the benefits of Cryotherapy.
- While patients have reported the benefits of Cryotherapy in decreasing nerve irritation and unwanted pain, it can cause unwanted damage to the tissue-like tingling sensations or numbness.
- This treatment can lead to some numbness and irritation in the skin which is claimed to be temporary.
- Even though it is claimed that there is no too much exposure of the skin to cold temperatures, it can lead to skin issues in some cases. There should be constant monitoring by expert medical practitioners during the process.
- Whole-Body Cryotherapy can lead to a reduction in heart rates, increased blood pressure, and a reduction in breathing in some cases. There should be constant monitoring of the patient’s vital signs before, during, and after the treatment. There will be oxygen level variations inside the chamber too which should be checked properly.
- It is often recommended that cold temperatures will not cause any issues. But patients will have to take care of not wearing metal, jewelry, and wet clothes or skin while entering the chamber. Subtle body parts must be covered by adequate clothing when proper measures are not followed.
Such insufficient evidence and some adverse effects have led to the overrated talks of Cryotherapy. Therefore, it is crucial to choose a reliable provider to perform the procedure.
Whole-Body Cryotherapy Reviews and Benefits:
Even though there are some controversial talks associated with whole-body Cryotherapy, studies and patient reviews have shown many benefits when performed at an experienced and reliable center.
Reduces Nerve Irritation:
Many proven instances of Cryotherapy lie in managing injuries from many years prove its ability to numb the pain. The cold temperatures have shown their effectiveness in reducing nerve irritation. Doctors will determine if the injury needs a whole body or localized Cryotherapy depending on the requirements. It will aid in treating pinched nerves, chronic pain, and even acute injuries.
Helps Treat Mood Disorders:
The ultra-cold temperatures in Whole-Body Cryotherapy can lead to physiological hormonal responses namely adrenaline, noradrenaline, and endorphins. This has proven to be effective in mood disorders like depression and anxiety. Researches have also shown that whole-body cryotherapy can be effective in short-term treatment for anxiety and depression issues. But there are no proper pieces of evidence to prove the accurate benefits of the treatment.
Reduces Migraine Symptoms:
Cold temperatures have also been effective in reducing irritation around the neck region. There have been proven benefits of using Cryotherapy in colling arteries of the neck region and reduce migraine symptoms in many individuals. It is believed that this treatment works by cooling the blood that is passing through the arteries that are near the skin surface.
Recovery After a Strenuous Exercise:
Whole-Body Cryotherapy has shown many benefits among athletes in negating the pain and inflammation after a robust workout. Muscle and joint recovery cases are also being reported among many patients who used this treatment.
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms:
Multiple Sclerosis is caused by the weakening of nerves by a person’s immune system and may also be due to oxidative stress in the system. Whole-Body Cryotherapy has shown decreasing the symptoms of oxidative stress and enhanced the development of antioxidants in the blood.
May Help in Improving Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease:
It is stated that Whole-Body Cryotherapy could be beneficial in treating Alzheimer’s and other types of Dementia. More studies are needed to confirm this theory and the effectiveness of treatment. This theory was based on the fact that Whole-Body Cryotherapy has shown an impact on improving anti-oxidative stress. It could help negate the oxidative stress and inflammatory response occurring with Alzheimer’s.
Treats Atopic Dermatitis and Other Skin Conditions:
Atopic Dermatitis is an enduring inflammatory skin disease with acute symptoms of dryness and itchiness in the dermis. As Cryotherapy enhances the oxidative stress and antioxidant levels in the blood, it can help treat the effects of atopic dermatitis. Even the study is based on the theory and there is a requirement for further studies to give an affirmative result.
If you want to get the complete benefits of Whole-Body Cryotherapy, then visit a trusted medical facility like Utah Body and Soul. It is a state-of-the-art facility where you can get essential self-care for your emotional and physical well-being. Their customized and proven results ensure that you are getting safe and guaranteed care for your issues.